jessie's creative

This wasn't my choice. In fact, the Bronx was probably the worst place we could move. At least I had friends in Maryland; in the Bronx, the closest you get to friends are gangs. All I wanted was to go back to Maryland, to leave this smelly apartment that I would soon call home. 
"Sweetheart, there's a nice young boy in the hall who wants to meet you. He heard there was another boy moving in, come say hello," Mom said, standing at the entrance to my new room.
A teenage boy? I thought. In this neighborhood? Probably not my first choice of friend material. 
In the hallway was definitely not what I was expecting. A clean-cut, skinny 15 year old rocked back and forth nervously on the balls of his feet, completely out of place in the shabby apartment building. Seeing me approach, he grinned widely and stuck out his hand.
"Jacob Widen, welcome to the neighborhood." I shook Jacob's hand hesitantly. 
"Will Stevens, and thanks, I guess." 
Jacob Widen was the epitome of a mama's boy. Freshly cut hair, button down shirt, and perfectly squeezable cheeks. Definitely not the type you would think would live on this side of town. Nevertheless, if I wanted a friend around here that wouldn't get me killed in a drive-by, he was it. 
"Um, Jacob, you wanna come in for dinner? I could use a little more testosterone in the place, and I need a break from unpacking anyways. We're having tacos," I gestured for him to come in, not even thinking what I could be getting myself into. 
He grinned even wider, if it was even possible, and walked right in. 
In between bites of soggy taco, I learned that Jacob’s favorite show is Doctor Who, he has a dog named Sunny, and his comic book collection is every 10 year old boy’s dream. I thought I was going crazy, because I was actually enjoying being around this kid. Back in Maryland, a guy like him and a guy like me would turn heads if we were seen in public together. But this wasn’t Maryland, and I really needed a friend. 
That first day in New York, if someone had told me that I’d become best friends with Jacob Widen, I’d laugh. But 2 years later, he still comes over for tacos every Wednesday night. 

Okie dokie, that was just a tidbit of a creative writing prompt. I hope it was tolerable, and next week we’ll be back with our regularly scheduled programming. Have a fantastic week, and stay lovely, lovelies.

Comments

  1. That honestly was an attention getter and sounds like a great start to a short story! Keep up the good writing blog buddy love your work <3 !!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

jessie's soundtrack of a lifetime

jessie's wish list

jessie's diary